Let's face it, life without a little pizza now and then is just plain sad. So for those of us who don't do grains and/or dairy, this recipe is a tasty and nutrient dense alternative. Give it a try by topping it with your favorite sauce and goodies and enjoy, guilt free!
- 2 heads Cauliflower florets
1 Organic, Pasture-Raised Egg, beaten
1/3 cup Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese Style Spread, optional
1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
1 tsp organic Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- "Rice" the cauliflower by pulsing it in a food processor into a fine rice-like or course meal texture.
- Add the riced cauliflower to a large saucepan and add just enough water to barely cover the cauliflower. Bring the water to a simmer and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower using a fine mesh strainer and then transfer it to a large piece of double layered cheesecloth. Wrap it tightly in the cheesecloth and wring it out to release as much liquid as possible. This will help prevent a soggy pizza crust.
- Add dried, riced cauliflower to a mixing bowl and add the beaten egg, ground flax, optional dairy-free cream cheese (here's the one I like: http://www.kite-hill.com/our-foods/cream-cheese-style-spread/), oregano and sea salt and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Line a sheet pan or pizza stone with parchment paper (don't skip this!). Roll your dough into a ball and using the heel of your hand or a rolling pin, press onto the parchment to form a 1/4"-1/3" thick circle.
- Bake at 400F for about 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove crust from oven and add desired sauce and toppings, then bake for 8-10 more minutes or until toppings are heated through. Watch the crust and if it starts to get too brown, cover your pizza with foil to prevent burning, and next time, remove it from the oven sooner before adding your toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!