Makes 8 half-cup servings.
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup chopped celery
• ½ cup orange bell pepper, chopped (can substitute red or yellow pepper)
• ½ cup uncooked brown rice
• ½ cup uncooked wild rice
• ½ cup dried pomegranate seeds
• 1 tsp dried basil
• 2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley OR 1 tsp dried parsley
• 3 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
• ½ cup chopped roasted almonds
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a roasting pan (4 qt or larger) over medium heat.
- Add chopped celery and chopped orange pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened (3 to 5 minutes).
- Add brown rice and wild rice, stir until coated with olive oil, just 30 seconds.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat, simmer and cook covered, 35 minutes.
- At 35 minutes, remove lid and stir in basil and dried pomegranates.
- Simmer, covered, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 more minutes.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Fluff with a fork and sprinkle chopped roasted almonds on top, or allow guests to sprinkle almonds per serving.
Note: Can be made two days ahead and stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Reheat by placing Pomegranate and Rice Medley Stuffing in lightly-oiled glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, and warm at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.