Super Bowl is coming up quickly this year, and many of you will be tempted to spend February 1st indulging in junky foods that will make you feel crappy and defeated. So why not get your finger food fix with a yummy dish that won't derail your fitness and nutrition? These nachos are a cleaned up but a super satisfying alternative to the nasty GMO and trans fat-laden versions which are typically served on Super Bowl Sunday. I don't eat dairy so I leave the cheese off of mine and they're still oh-so-yummy! Give these a shot and let me know what you think.
For the Meat
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb organic, ground grass-fed beef or turkey thigh meat (you could also use diced grilled free-range chicken, reheated with the following ingredients)
- 1 green chili, diced
- ½ yellow onion
- 12 oz. can or jar of organic, fire roasted diced tomatoes (choose BPA free cans)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan or sea salt
- ¼ tsp of cayenne - add more if you like it spicy
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced and/or 1 cup guacamole
- 2-3 organic Roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup organic shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
For the Chips
- I recommend Beanitos Restaurant Style White Bean Chips, Simply Pinto Bean or Original Black Bean Chips
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, green chili and spices and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the meat and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the garlic and diced tomatoes and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and then turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring regularly until the juices have reduced and the meat is cooked through.
- Stir the chopped tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro into the beef mixture.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Arrange the chips on a large, round platter.
- Spoon the beef mixture onto the chips and then add your desired toppings.