My husband and I absolutely love shepherd's pie, but the gluten, dairy and inflammatory white potato don't love me, so I made this cleaned up version instead. This pie is just as satisfying and delicious and it's a great go-to comfort food dish when you want something really hearty. Enjoy!
1 head Cauliflower, chopped into florets
2 Tbsp Ghee, organic and grass-fed, divided
1 Yellow Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 lb Grass-Fed Lamb
3 cups organic Mushrooms, sliced or small diced
2 organic Carrots, diced
2 stalks organic Celery, diced
1 Tbsp organic Italian Seasoning (I like this one)
1/2 tsp Sea Salt (add more or less to taste)
1-2 pinches Smoked Paprika, for garnish
1 tsp fresh organic Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cauliflower florets in a medium sized steamer or saucepan with a steamer insert. Add about 1/2 inch of water to the pan, bring to a simmer and cover. Let the florets steam until they are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, heat half of the ghee/coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onions and half of the garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the meat, and cook until browned.
- Add the mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and salt. Continue to cook for a few minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Remove the cauliflower and discard steaming water. Return the cauliflower to the pot and add the other half of the garlic and ghee/coconut oil and a sprinkle of salt. Mash well until the cauliflower becomes almost like a puree. Alternatively you can puree the cauliflower in a food processor.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a casserole or pie dish and distribute into an even layer. Top with the cauliflower mash and spread it evenly across the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to a low broil and broil for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, garnish with smoked paprika and parsley and serve.
- 100% Dairy-Free - Use coconut oil instead of ghee.
- Make individual servings in large ramekins or oven safe bowls.
- No Lamb - Use ground pasture-raised turkey or organic, grass-fed beef instead.
- Green Pea Lover - add 1/2 cup frozen organic green peas in step 5.