- 2 cups water
- 1 32-ounce box of organic, free-range chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 - 3 boneless, skinless organic, pasture-raised chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry*
- 1 pound organic carrots, peeled and chopped into one-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, chopped into one to two-inch slices
- 8 ounces raw baby organic spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 organic jalapeño pepper, chopped fine
- 2 cloves organic garlic, crushed and chopped fine
- ½ tsp each: dried organic dill, rosemary, oregano (if using fresh herbs, add 1 tsp of each)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt (add more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper (add more or less to taste)
- 2 organic avocados, cut into bite-sized chunks
- If you have leftover turkey, you can shred or cut it into bite-size pieces and add it to the soup during the last 15-20 minutes of cooking time.
- In a large soup pot, pour in water and chicken broth.
- Toss in all of the vegetables EXCEPT the avocado (carrots, onions, spinach, and jalapeño. You can also add other veggies you have on hand, such as mushrooms or zucchini).
- Stir once and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken breasts (whole); if liquid does not cover chicken add more water or broth to just cover breasts.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover with tight-fitting lid, and simmer for two hours. Check after one hour to ensure broth is still covering chicken breasts.
- At two hours, stir and check for tenderness of chicken – it should fall apart easily when pulled with a fork.
- Add garlic and remaining spices; stir well and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- When done, use fork to tear chicken into bite-sized pieces. (Be careful as the chicken in the broth will be hot.)
- To serve, scoop a serving-size of vegetables and chicken into a bowl; use a ladle to pour broth over vegetables and chicken.
- Add 2 -3 chunks of avocado to each bowl and serve. This is a hearty, healthy, post-holiday meal for lunch or dinner!
Makes 6 - 8 servings