I don't normally recommend soy foods since soy is such a common allergy, but eggs are also problematic for many people so this is a great alternative for you egg-free folks. Sometimes a hearty breakfast scramble is just good for the soul and this recipe doesn't disappoint. Be sure to use organic tofu since most conventional soy products are made with GMO soybeans and no one needs the nasty chemicals that are sprayed on GMO crops. Give this scramble a try and let me know what you think. Happy brunching!
- 220 grams Organic Tofu (firm)
- 1 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil or organic, grass-fed ghee
- 1/4 organic Yellow Onion (medium, diced)
- 2 organic Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 organic Red Bell Pepper (sliced)
- 1 cup organic Baby Spinach (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Place the tofu in a small bowl and mash with a fork to the point where it is broken apart but chunks still remain. The texture should be similar to scrambled eggs.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the tofu, spinach, nutritional yeast and turmeric to the pan. Mix well and cook until the spinach wilts and the tofu is heated through.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper taste. Enjoy!
- More Carbs: Serve with gluten-free toast or quinoa.
- Spice It Up: Serve with your favorite hot sauce or sprinkle with cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
- Leftovers: Store in the fridge up to 3 days.