This is a hearty comfort food dish with the addition of pumpkin for a tasty, seasonal twist. It's really fast and easy to make and will be a crowd pleaser for the whole family. I personally find that the combo of animal protein and beans is not a glamorous one for me, but feel free to add kidney beans if you like and if your GI system can handle it :-).
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb Ground Bison, grass-fed, pastured
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Yellow or Orange Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 cup Pureed Organic Pumpkin
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Green Onions/Scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground bison, onion and garlic, and saute for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through. Drain off most of the fat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin and paprika. Stir about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add crushed tomatoes, bell peppers, pumpkin, water, maple syrup and salt. Let simmer about 10 minutes.
- Divide into bowls, add desired toppings and enjoy!
- Optional Toppings: Garnish with toasted organic tortillas, chopped green onion, avocado, or jalapeño slices. If you tolerate dairy, you can add organic, grass-fed sour cream or cheddar cheese.
- More Veggies: Add more bell peppers, zucchini, or stir in spinach, kale or watercress just before serving.
- No Bison: Use grass-fed beef, ground chicken, turkey, lamb or venison.
- Vegan or Vegetarian: Use mixed beans and/or organic tofu instead of ground meat.
- Leftovers: Refrigerate in an air-tight container for 3 to 5 days or freeze up to 2 months.