This is a great option for a quick healthy lunch that you can easily prep ahead to grab and go on the way to work. It's also a great salad to pack for a picnic or your kiddo's lunch (yes, you can get them to eat their veggies if they look colorful and fun!). Want to make it a more substantial meal? Pair it with a hearty soup for a rich and satisfying combo.
You can create endless variations of this salad to suit your taste. Try using red and green cabbage, asparagus or radishes and mix up the dressing to keep things interesting. I like to make 3 or 4 of these at once to bring to work for lunch during warmer weather. Give it a try and let me know your thoughts.
- ½ cup fresh organic spinach leaves, torn into one-inch pieces
- ½ cup organic arugula or kale, torn into one-inch pieces
- 1 small organic tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped grilled wild salmon OR organic pastured egg OR organic, pasture-raised chicken breast (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped organic red or yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped or shredded organic carrots
- ½ organic avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
You'll need one resealable glass container, such as a Mason jar (approx. 3-cup capacity)
For the Dressing:
• 2 tsp rice vinegar
• Juice of ½ a lemon
• 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Layer ingredients 1 through 8 into the portable food container, beginning with the first ingredient listed.
- As you add each layer, gently smooth the food layer with the back of a spoon.
- Top with seeds and secure with container top.
- In a separate portable food container or plastic zip bag, mix the dressing ingredients.
- When you are ready to eat, remove salad lid, sprinkle in dressing, replace lid and gently shake.
- Eat layer by layer or stir to mix.