I have a slight obsession with matcha. In the interest of nurturing my adrenals, I wanted a less acidic, less intense option than coffee for my morning cuppa. I love the ritual of mixing the matcha powder with hemp or coconut milk and heating it in my special, tiny little saucepan. It's a rich and creamy way to start my morning and I almost don't miss my beloved coffee. Almost.
If a matcha latte isn't your jam, this recipe is a great way to enjoy the flavor and powerful antioxidant properties of matcha for breakfast or a sweat treat. This parfait is also rich in protein and healthy fats to give you sustained energy and mental clarity to tackle your day. Top it with a little sliced kiwi to make it extra delicious.
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Coconut Milk (canned, full fat, refrigerated overnight)
- 1 cup Organic Coconut or Almond Milk, unsweetened
- 2 tsp organic Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Avocado
- 3 Tbsp Monk Fruit Sweetener (I recommend Pure Monk or Lakanto brands)
- Scrape the coconut cream from the top of the can into a bowl and set aside (aim for about 1 cup if you are making 3 servings). The cream should have separated from the coconut juice after being refrigerated overnight.
- Add the remaining coconut milk from the can into a blender with almond/non-dairy milk, green tea powder, chia, avocado and monk fruit sweetener. Blend until smooth. Place in fridge to thicken about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once it has thickened up, layer chia pudding into mason jars or containers. Follow with a layer of coconut cream. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used up. Add toppings if you wish, and enjoy!
Makes about 3 Servings
Toppings: Top with chopped fruit, hemp seeds, crushed nuts, dried fruit, shredded coconut or coconut chips.
Leftovers: Refrigerate chia parfait in an air-tight container for 3-5 days.
No Monk Fruit: Sweeten to taste with liquid stevia instead.