Perfect for a cold winter day!
1 ½ cup cooked or 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed & drained)
1 ½ cup cooked or 1 can white beans (rinsed & drained)
¾ cup uncooked green lentils (rinsed & drained)
1 cup cooked brown/black rice
2 cups/ 1 diced onion
¾ cup celery (including leaves) diced – 2 long stalks
4 cups fresh or 1 can diced tomatoes
4 - 8 TBSP of chopped cilantro
½ - 1 cup chopped parsley
2 ½ quarts vegetable stock
2 TBSP olive oil
1 Tsp tumeric
¼ Tsp (2 packets) saffron
1 Tsp fresh ginger chopped, or minced from jar
1 Tsp – Tbsp of cinnamon
1 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Tsp sea salt or to taste
1. Heat the oil in soup pot over low heat. Add diced onions for 5 – 10 minutes stirring until tender and starting to brown.
2. Add the *spices and celery and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock, lentils, and cooked beans. Bring to a simmer and add a sea salt and ground pepper.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes and check the lentils for doneness.
6. When the lentils are cooked (soft but not mushy), add the cooked rice, cilantro and parsley. Stir and simmer 2 minutes.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning with sea salt & pepper.